What’s the difference between USED TO / BE USED TO / GET USED TO & WOULD?
USED TO / WOULD = Regular Habit in the Past
- I used to/ would ride my bike after school every day.
- I used to smoke.
I would smoke.
- I used to/ would smoke a packet of cigarettes every day.
TO BE USED TO + ING = Something is normal or not new for you
- I’m used to walking to work. I’ve done it every day for the last 2 years.
- I’m used to living by the sea. In fact, I’ve lived by the sea all my life.
- He wasn’t used to eating with chopsticks before he went to live in Japan.
TO GET USED TO + ING = The process of something becoming normal or not strange for you
- She didn’t like have her hair cut at first but she is getting used to it. (Her new hairstyle is becoming normal for her.)
- He was very scared at first but he got used to driving his motorbike. (Driving a motorbike is normal for him now.)
- She doesn’t like animals but now she has got used to the cat. (The cat is not a problem for her anymore.)
Exercise 1: Multiple Choice
Select all the verb forms which can be used to complete the sentence below.
Be careful. In some of the sentences, more than one answer is correct.